I WANT A GARDEN SO BAD.
I always have. I have dreams of being ‘self-sufficient’. Of never needed to go to the grocery store for fruits or veggies. and of beautiful big flowers.
Our apartment has no patio or balcony.
So my garden dreams are currently on hold.
As I am a serial DIY-er… I keep a lot of ‘random’ items. In hopes that I can one day repurpose them. One day, I sat there with a ton of glass jars and an idea blossomed (ha). My own windowsill-apartment-garden.
Here’s how I did it.
What you need:
- reusable glass jars (some of mine were once spaghetti sauce jars, others were pickle jars)
- small rocks/pebbles
- moisture control soil
- painters tape
- chalkboard paint
When your supplies are in order, here are the steps:
- Use the painter’s tape to block off a good sized square on each jar. This will eventually become your label for what plant is in that specific jar.
- Paint with the chalkboard paint and let dry.
- Take off the tape.
- Add the rocks/pebbles to the bottom part of each jar, about 1/4.
- Add the soil on top of the rocks
- Plant the seeds at the depth stated on the seeds’ packets
- Place in a nice little place (like my cute little window sill.)
- Watch them grow.
My plants sat on my little window sill for a few months. They great and grew. Unfortunately, they never flowered. But their green aesthetic and ability to clean the air in my little abode were much appreciated.